We were “secret shopped” recently. It wasn’t the first time either.
Technically it was a collection site audit by Quest Diagnostics.
How did we do?
We earned an A+. 100%!
InOut Labs is a member of Quest Diagnostics’ Preferred Partner Network. As part of Quest’s quality management process, they send undercover “donors” to collection sites across the country to make sure they follow proper protocols.
Aileen Payoyo, our lab manager, was the collector this time. She’s a pro at this, but had no idea she was being evaluated.
For the uninitiated, collecting a urine specimen under DOT guidelines has very strict rules. To score 195 out of 195 possible points is rare.
Paraphrased from the DOT’s 10 Steps to Collection Site Security and Integrity:
- Pay careful attention to donors throughout the collection process.
- Ensure that there is no unauthorized access into the collection areas.
- Make sure that donors show proper picture ID.
- Make sure employees empty pockets; remove outer garments; leave briefcases, purses, and bags behind; and wash their hands.
- Maintain personal control of the specimen and CCF at all times during the collection.
- Secure any water sources or otherwise make them unavailable to donors.
- Ensure that the water in the toilet has bluing (coloring) agent in it.
- Ensure that no soap, disinfectants, cleaning agents, or other possible adulterants are present.
- Ensure that no foreign or unauthorized substances are present.
- Secure areas and items (e.g., ledges, trash receptacles, paper towel holders, under-sink areas, ceiling tiles) that appear suitable for concealing contaminants.
On our first audit 2 or 3 years ago we earned a very respectable 95%. I’m not aware of any others who have scored that high. 100% is better.
It’s more than just the collection process.
140 of the 195 points have to do with the process outlined above. The remainder have to do with the “customer experience,” and we scored 100% for cleanliness, professionalism, waiting time and respect for privacy.
We work hard to be effective, efficient, polite and professional, and it ‘s nice to be recognized.