For the fifth consecutive year, Americans workforce is showing an increase of positive marijuana tests. With more and more states legalizing the recreational use of the drug, this is a trend that shows no signs of slowing down.
When we look at the top 10 states, it’s interesting that they don’t necessarily contain the cities that have the highest marijuana positivity.
States With The Highest Percentage of Positive Marijuana Tests
- Oregon (3.9%) – Fully legal statewide
- Maine (3.5%) – Fully legal statewide
- Massachusetts (3.1%) – Fully legal statewide
- Rhode Island (3.1%) – Medically legal statewide
- Vermont (2.9%) – Fully legal statewide
- Michigan (2.8%) – Fully legal statewide
- Nevada (2.7%) – Fully legal statewide
- Washington (2.6%) – Fully legal statewide
- Arizona (2.5%) – Medically legal statewide
- Colorado (2.5%) – Fully legal statewide
Cities With The Highest Percentage of Positive Marijuana Tests
- Dallas, TX (5.27%)
- Reno, NV (3.54%)
- Worcester, MA (3.48%)
- Jackson, TN (3.23%)
- Flint, MI (3.23%)
- Springfield, MA (3.19%)
- Ann Arbor, MI (3.12%)
- Detroit, MI (3.11%)
- Tallahassee, FL (3.11%)
- Waco, TX (3.09%)
What’s interesting to note is that there are two cities listed from Texas where marijuana is fully illegal but yet they still rank high overall in positive marijuana tests for both Dallas and Waco.
Also, California, which has legal marijuana both medically and recreational doesn’t appear on the positive marijuana tests list at all.
When we look at these results, the stereotype of marijuana being a problem only in big cities or in states where it’s legal is inaccurate.
This provides us with evidence of how important it is to drug test employees despite location in order to provide a safe, productive and drug-free workplace.
Contact InOut Labs to set up a drug testing program for your business.