Following is an email sent to our FMCSA-regulated clients on October 2019.
What is the Clearinghouse?
According to the FMCSA, “The Clearinghouse is a secure online database that will give employers, the FMCSA, State Driver Licensing Agencies, and State law enforcement personnel real-time access to important information about CDL Driver drug and alcohol program violations.”
The Clearinghouse was approved in 2017 and becomes the law on January 6, 2020.
There is a lot to learn and we consider it part of our job as a C/TPA to help.
We have summarized the highlights which apply to Employers and Drivers here: www.inoutlabs.com/clearinghouse
You really should spend some time reading the full FAQ at the Clearinghouse website.
Who has to register?
- FMCSA regulated employers – Employer info (pdf)
- Medical Review Officers (MRO) reviewing DOT drug test results
- Substance Abuse Professionals (SAP) who will be doing the return to duty process for DOT drivers
- Consortium/Third Party Administrators (C/TPA) who will be assisting employers with Clearinghouse responsibilities
- CDL Drivers – Driver info (see below about requirements to register)
Registration is open now.
What is this going to cost?
- Employers will be required to purchase Queries from the Clearinghouse at $1.25 each.
- C/TPA fees for managing Clearinghouse responsibilities on behalf of our clients: TBA. C/TPAs across the industry are still working this out.
- Since MROs have some additional responsibilities, we are anticipating a nominal increase in MRO fees.
Deadline to Register: January 6, 2020
What to do NOW
- Register your company as soon as possible and Identify InOut Labs as your C/TPA so we will be able to perform queries on your behalf.
- Send notification to all employees to register.
- Have all existing CDLs and any hired from this point forward sign a Clearinghouse Consent Form (pdf sample). If you do not have consent, you cannot perform a query. If you do not perform a query, you cannot use that employee for safety sensitive work (i.e. drive).
Owner Operators – Register for the Clearinghouse and select InOut Labs as your C/TPA. Owner Operators are required to select a C/TPA
Watch for further emails from us in the coming days and weeks regarding:
- Queries – How to purchase them and how to use them.
- Employer Clearinghouse reporting requirements.
- How you can use InOut Labs to support your Clearinghouse responsibilities