My employee apologized for his positive drug test. Claimed he was at a party and did something stupid and it won’t happen again. I really don’t think he needs treatment. Can’t I just send him in for another test?

If he’s a regulated employer, no. A regulated employee (e.g. driver, under FMCSA) must complete the Return-to-Duty process. If he wants to return to work as a driver, he must contact a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) and complete the Return-to-Duty process — even if he is not hired or is terminated. Your company’s drug and [...]